Bruising is common among people who are engaged in activities that involved physical contact such as Kung Fu and other forms of martial arts. A bruise may be black or blue in color. It may occur in any part of the body that experienced physical trauma such as when your sparring partner hits you really hard in the face or arms. Your blood vessels may break as a result of the trauma. The bruise will form when the blood from the damaged or broken blood vessels collects near the skin surface.
Not all cases of bruising needs medical attention. When you are into martial arts, it is fairly common to have bruises from time to time as a result of being kicked or hit during practice or sparring sessions. However, there are also cases when you may experience unexplained bruising in various parts of the body. And some of these cases may need medical attention:
- When you have a bruise that already swells and is accompanied by extreme pain, you should seek medical attention immediately. Your doctor will normally recommend pain relief medication and other medications to soothe the swelling and prevent infection.
- Some people with heart disease or those who have problems with blood clots are often recommended by doctors to take blood thinners such as warfarin. For some patients, taking blood thinners causes them to have unexplained bruises. If this is your case, you should immediately see your doctor because you may be experiencing the side effects of your medication.
- Unexplained bruises in certain parts of your body also need medical attention such as under a fingernail or toenail and bruises in the head. These bruises may cause you unbearable pain and anxiety.
- If you acquired some bruises in your head and you blacked out, completely forgetting about what caused it, you may be experiencing a concussion. You should be taken to the nearest emergency hospital for checkup. It may have caused trauma in your head which needs proper medical attention. In some cases, you may also be required to have your head CT-scanned or checked through MRI.
- If your bruise is around your eye and you are experiencing some abnormalities in vision, or you cannot move your eye in a certain direction, or you are experiencing headaches, it is likely that you have a serious injury that needs to be checked by your doctor.
- Even if your bruise does not cause you unbearable pain or does not meet the conditions mentioned above, if the bruise has not improved after two weeks or if it has not yet completely cleared after four weeks, you may also need to seek medical attention.
Bruises are a condition that should not be taken lightly. This is especially true if they do not result from your Kung Fu practices or exercises. If you have unexplained bruise which meets any of the cases listed above, be sure to have it checked by a doctor immediately.